Puppy shenanigans included, a WordPress theme and child theme can be installed in less than 5 minutes. Watch the video below for step-by-step instructions. Or if you’d prefer to read, scroll below the video.
Here’s how to install a Genesis child theme in WordPress (this applies to any child theme, not just Genesis, but Genesis is what mine are built on, and I always recommend it):
- In your WordPress dashboard, hover over “Appearance” in the left-side menu. Click on “Themes.”
- Click on the button that says “Add new” towards the top.
- The button will change to “Upload theme” click that.
- Click the “Choose File” button, then select the parent theme (in this case, the zipped folder called “genesis”). Click “Install now.”
- Click the text that says “Return to themes page”
- Click the button that says “Add new” again, and again, click “Upload theme.”
- Click “Choose File” and now select your child theme and click “Install Now.”
- Click “Live Preview” and you will get a preview of what your new child theme will look like.
- Make all the tweaks and adjustments you want, then click “Save & Activate.”
That’s it! Your child theme is installed and live on your website.